Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Hasura Internship - 2.1 Setup dev environment

The following are the things I need to get some work done on making the app.

Node JS

I'm running my dev environment on Ubuntu, to install node on it, execute the following commands on the terminal

$ curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_8.x | sudo -E bash -
$ sudo apt-get install -y nodejs

The node js website has detailed info for installing node on the Operating System of choice for the user.

Git

Git is our version control program. It's basically a program that keeps track of changes to files in our project. 

If I screw up on a perfectly working project and I want to revert the project to a stage before the screw-up, I can do that with git.

$ sudo apt-get install git

That would install git onto my ubuntu machine. A quickstart on git can be found here. To get our feet really wet, there's a book called Pro-Git.

Sublime Text

This is my preferred text editor for code. Even though my inner vim-genin is cursing me for this choice, time is of the essence in the internship. 

$ wget -qO - https://download.sublimetext.com/sublimehq-pub.gpg | sudo apt-key add -

 The above would make our system trust packages from sublimeHQ.

$ echo "deb https://download.sublimetext.com/ apt/stable/" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/sublime-text.list

This line adds the stable repo url for sublime text.

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install sublime-text

Finally update the repo cache and install sublime text.

The Shell

Over the years, I've grown quite fond of a shell called zsh. Its immense completion system is really a priced feature for me. Luckily, there is a community maintained project called oh-my-zsh that gives me a good modularized zsh configuration that I can extend with plugins

$ sudo apt-get install zsh
$ sh -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh/master/tools/install.sh)"


Log Date : May 1-10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home